Pages

Friday, September 15, 2017

Friday Funnies

Circling the ravi(oli)s . . .isn't like
circling the wagons, but it's what Grenville commented when he saw this canned ravioli display in a local supermarket. (He watched western shows growing up and ate canned ravioli; his taste has improved since then.)

The phrase dates to when the western U.S. was being settled. Wagons of settlers and freight threatened by bandits or hostile Indians would circle the wagons to provide a protected perimeter to hide behind and fire their weapons at the attackers.

Today, circle the wagons can mean uniting a group or team to defend a common interest.

Different meanings but both still concerned with protection in differing ways.


Enjoy your weekend, Everyone.
(Our thoughts & prayers to all affected by Hurricane Irma.)

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

It's been awhile since I've had any of that canned!

DeniseinVA said...

I know someone else who loves canned ravioli. Yes that would be Gregg and everytime we come across a similar display it reminds him of the time he knocked one over when he was a kid. One of my favorie shows on TV when I was young - I used to watch westerns with my Dad - was Wagon Train. I remember them yelling "Circle the Wagons" and my Dad who was all knowing about the old west, used to tell me what it meant :)

Lynn said...

It looks a little like a castle to me. Someone had fun at work that day!