This recipe falls into that second category. It was modified slightly from an online source. It's a quick one-pan skillet meal with lots of fresh ingredients; peppers, onions, garlic, zucchini, and basil. And, dinner can be ready in under a half hour
Balsamic Chicken with Peppers, Onions, Zucchini
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips or chunks
- Salt & pepper
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- 4 C thinly sliced multi-colored bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, green)
- 1 C zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1/4 C chopped fresh basil or 1 TBSP dried basil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; marinate in balsamic vinegar for a few hours.
- In a large skillet, sauté chicken in 2 TBSP olive oil over medium high heat. Turn once and cook for about 8 min or until browned; remove from pan.
- Clean pan, then add 2 TBSP of olive oil to skillet and cook, peppers, onion, zucchini. Stir often until softened. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in basil and balsamic vinegar, then return chicken and juices to skillet.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Our opinion was that while we both enjoyed the recipe for its contents and low (314) calorie count, the dish needed more flavor. One reviewer suggested adding brown sugar and soy sauce. When (and if) we re-try this recipe, there will be more flavor add-ins.