Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Well Shut My Mouth!!!!

As the Hero of New Jersey, The Boss, Bruce Springsteen, tells us, I was "born in the USA". Now I've always believed that USA meant United States of AMERICA. That meant that since I was born in the USA, I was an AMERICAN. BUT it seems I was wrong all this time. Now, I have never been one to claim political correctness in my thoughts or words. Today I've learned that calling myself an AMERICAN, is problematic according to the “Bias-Free Language Guide” used by the University of New HampshireThe guide recommends against the term because it 
“assumes the U.S. is the only country inside the continents of North and South America".

As Steve Martin, and now "The Donald" would say, EXCUSE ME!!!!! As far as know, in North America, the residents of the USA are the only ones to identify, label, and call themselves "AMERICANS". And may I say we do it PROUDLY. Im sure our Canadian readers will verify this. 


AND as far as I know no citizens of any of the countries Central America call themselves "AMERICANS". Mexicans, Guatemalans, Salvadorians and such yes. But not AMERICANS. The same also goes folks that live in South American countries. Brazilians, Chileans, Columbians and so on. But not AMERICANS. All of these folks seem to be happy to be identified with the country they live in.


This leads me to question the intelligence and reality level of the "Tax Funded" educators who seem to be so 'geographically challenged' (I hope that is the politically correct term for over educated buffoons who have nothing better to do then waste our tax dollars on this rubbish) at UNH.


BUT WAIT!!!!!! THERE IS MORE!!!!!! Because using the term AMERICAN is not all that they find problematic. Oh No.... there is so much more.

Other “problematic” words on the taxpayer-funded school’s lengthy list include “mothering,” “fathering,” “healthy,” “homosexual,” “rich,” “poor” and “senior citizen,” notes Campus Reform
To get re-educated about these problematic words, click on the link above for Campus Reform.

And even more go to http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/28/public-universitys-bias-free-language-guide-calls-the-word-american-problematic/#ixzz3hJcNVud0

Grenville, A Proud AMERICAN🇺🇸

11 comments:

jp@A Green Ridge said...

LOL! Fun filled fact finder, you are....keep opening your mouth!...:)JP

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

I heard this on the radio this morning, Grenville, and nearly had a fit. Not call ourselves Americans?!? And not "senior citizens" or even "elderly", but "those with experience"? Puh-leeze, indeed.
This senior citizen AMERICAN is proud to be called such, and wonders what has happened to our colleges. Didn't we used to study Emerson, Shakespeare, Economics, and Chemistry? Geology, Engineering, and Medicine? Not "The Decline of the North American Experience", or "Don't Call Weight Challenged People Fat"! When do we get back to common sense?

William Kendall said...

It sounds like they have way too much time on their hands.

Technically speaking I'm North American, but I identify as Canadian. Pure and simple. One is of their country.

What do they expect, for people to start saying, "I'm a United Statian?"

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Don't know if you saw it, but there is a disavowal there nowal..
(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)
UPDATE: UNH President Mark Huddleston has disavowed the Bias-Free Language Guide, saying he is "troubled by many things" it contains. He says "[t]he only UNH policy on speech is that it is free and unfettered on our campuses."
:) m & jb who likes to be free and unfettered herself!

Emma Springfield said...

Political correctness is on my last nerve. I do not say things that would intentionally hurt anyone. I also do not approve of erasing historical items or words from existence. I do not believe in banning books or music. Everyone has the freedom to stay away from whatever they find offensive just as everyone has the right to use what they enjoy. The only limits should be that no one be harmed. The people doing the censoring here are only promoting biases for their own gains.

Kathy said...

People are getting ridiculous. Pretty soon we won't be able to say or do anything. I'd better speak up while I still have the right to do so.

Kailani said...

I can see their point, and yet I don't give a rat's ass. LOL

Connie said...

Hmm, well, I'm going to keep calling myself an American anyway. :)

Anvilcloud said...

It is a bit odd how United Statesians have appropriated the term, American. :)

But we are all used to it and get along with it.

Met one fellow online who was quite provoked about it, but that's life.

Mostly though, other people don't refer to your country as America but as the United States or US. This is so even if we don't mind the term, Americans. Odd, eh?

Kay G. said...

I have visited England since the early 1980's and it seems to me that when they refer to the USA, they almost always say "America".
And by the way...it does not matter what part you are from either, you will be labeled as "American", that's it. Okay by me. xx

possum said...

I attended a political debate a few years ago... Rigell's stand-in (he didn't even come to the shore to get votes) used the term American several times until a woman from some non-English speaking country in Europe yelled out and interrupted with the question - 'Why do you keep using the term America? This is the United States. Do you think you OWN the entire continent? Or both north and south America? Who do you think you are to claim that title?" She went on for a while until someone convinced her to step outside and cool off. The rest of us were sort of stunned.

But abroad, I have not heard this country called anything but Amerika. Well, OK, maybe a few other things, but always ending with Amerika. And really, who cares? (besides that woman from .....)