Seasonality is the key to this recipe that's best made during spring and summer months. That's when ingredients are at their peak of flavor and readily available in supermarkets and market stands. Its bright hues and refreshing flavors make this the perfect side dish for summer entertaining.
Delicious served as a side dish or main course. This salad is best served at room temperature. Dress the salad right before serving.
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
- 2 beefsteak (or other large variety) tomatoes, stemmed, washed and dried
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, stemmed, washed and dried
- 1 TBSP chopped tarragon leaves; mint leaves work too
- 4-6 strawberries, hulled, washed and cut into small pieces
- Thinly sliced cucumber (optional)
- Sea salt to season
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tsp superfine (or granulated) sugar
- 6 ounces cold watermelon rind removed, seeded, cut into bite-size cubes
An optional addition of chopped avocados adds more flavor and texture.
- In a bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil. Taste for seasoning and set aside.
- Place the tomatoes on a flat surface. Cut the smaller ones in half and the larger ones into slices. Arrange in a single layer, flesh side up and season with salt, black pepper and sugar. Drizzle the tomatoes with the dressing. Toss with the tarragon and strawberries.
- Arrange the tomatoes down the length of 6 rectangular plates. Drizzle with the remaining dressing (may need another whisk) and top with watermelon. Serve immediately.