Today is Valentine's Day, a day set aside for expressing Love for the special someone(s) in your life — spouse, lover, family, friends. It's a sentiment that we try to celebrate daily.
Here are some things that work for us — all are inexpensive, and while not appropriate for everyone, they can be for your Special Someone. This modified list is a repeat of a past Hearts Day post, our preferred V-Day term, and gives a few very easy ways to tell someone that you care.
- Do nice things for no "special" reason
- Start and end each day 3 words: I Love You (works with any family member)
- Never go to bed angry; I'm sorry goes a long way when you're upset with anyone
- Light candles whenever possible (we do most evenings; always at dinner)
- Sit and talk (works for anyone).
We're not alone with this tradition. This day is the second most popular card sending holiday (Christmas is first) and more than 150 million Valentine's Day cards are exchanged annually. It's not only celebrated in the U.S. but also in Australia, Canada, France, Mexico, and the United Kingdom. A history of Valentine's Day origins and traditions can be found on the History channel website.
Happy Hearts Day — Please share what you are doing. We would love to know.
Beatrice & Grenville
(Also, thanks for comments on the S(n)o (w) Tired post. We are bracing for another major
storm blizzard this weekend, but are safely indoors and so are our cars.)