Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday Un-Funnies

It's been a sad week with the loss of two great performers barely 24 hours apart, Robin Williams and Lauren Bacall. 

Ms. Bacall succumbed to a massive stroke at age 89. Mr. Williams, 63, reportedly took his own life. Media reports have covered unceasingly his public admissions of battling depression, alcohol and drug addictions. As if that wasn't a triple threat, late this week, his wife reported that he was dealing with early symptoms of Parkinson's Disease. It's the same disease that actor Michael J. Fox has been battling publicly for many years.

Over the past few days, myself (and the rest of the world) have been reading many accounts of Williams genius as well as his demons. “The demons are still there,” he told one interviewer, describing his battle to beat depression even after giving up alcohol. Another time he said, Reality is just a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs.

While I did not always like Robin Williams' performances — the same be said of any performer — I admired his genius, spontaneity and the ability to make people happy and laugh whether at him or anything else. News accounts have described his tireless energy in entertaining U.S. troops. Also his active involvement in the Comic Relief stand-up specials with fellow comedians Whoopi Goldberg and Billy Crystal has raised nearly $100 million for people in need over 20 years.

The reason(s) for his death may never be fully revealed. Contrary to some public opinion, everyone (aside from family and officials) does not need to know nor should they judge his actions. It is a sad event that no amount of commentary can reverse.
“I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone.” Robin Williams

11 comments:

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Indeed, a sad week. I always liked Lauren Bacall. She just seemed so funny and down-to-earth.
And just two weeks ago, I happened upon a youtube of Robin's visit with Koko the gorilla. It was so tender. Robin's daughter wrote something to the effect that she was sad their love for him was not enough to make him stay. Severe depression is like that.I, myself, suffer from it. I know about it firsthand. It is beyond awful.
I didn't hear about him having Parkinson's. :(

Out on the prairie said...

sad to take ones life and leave all around you

possum said...

Yes, what a loss. The man was indeed a genius and did so much good for so many charities... and did a lot of good entertaining the world. Maybe we did not always like the characters he played, but he truly brought them to life. Often his jokes showed us a side of ourselves that we did not wish to acknowledge, too!
I have learned in recent years one of the parts of Parkinson's is severe depression and often the desire to commit suicide... tho sometimes I wonder if that might be a side effect of the medicines used to treat or slow down PD.
It is a great loss for so many of us.

Connie said...

This has been a difficult, sad week. Williams had such amazing talent and heart.

Unknown said...

He was my favorite contemporary comedian and had an amazing wit, fast on the adlib. I saw an interview once where he attributed his sense of comedy to his Mom who was "entertaining" and not always appreciated by the family in her antics.. Met him when we lived in CA. Posted on my FB when it happened with a quote from his Dead Poet's Society movie.

Emma Springfield said...

Lauren Bacall is the vision of class. Whenever anyone speaks of a sophisticated woman her picture appears in my head. She carried herself so beautifully and regally. At the same time she was no snob. I always felt she would be just as comfortable in my home as she would have made me in her home. All the while with that magnificent posture. What a woman.

Michelle said...

So much loss this week....

William Kendall said...

I loved Lauren's screen presence in all of those classics. The last time I saw a film with her in it was some months ago, Key Largo.

I know first hand what depression is like, how crushing and overwhelming it can be. It was a shock to hear the news about Robin. As funny as he could be, I found his work as a serious actor to be more engaging.

Anonymous said...

She too was a great actor and we lost one of our most loved actors too almost at the same time.

Have a great day!
Christer.

diane b said...

Yes two super talents have been lost. depression is a shocking illness and one very hard o understand.

Gail Dixon said...

A tragic and sad loss of Mr. Williams. Although his hyper humor wasn't my cup of tea, I did admire his talent. Very sad to think how much pain he must've been in to do what he did. :(