Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

Friday Funnies

We wondered if this was is where guys went to buy bachelor party cakes . . .

And, then wondered even more if a girl was baked inside? (of course not)

OK, enough kidding around here and no offense intended to anyone. We'd never heard of this bakery group before seeing this sign when stopped at a gas station. Being curious nosy, I checked online and learned that . . .

Bimbo Bakeries USA is the US corporate arm of Mexico's Grupo Bimbo. It is the largest bakery company in the U.S. The company is headquartered in Horsham, PA and owns six of the top 12 fresh bread brands in the U.S. It's also a top sponsor for many major American-owned soccer teams across the globe. The company name Bimbo was coined in 1945 by combining bingo and Bambi. As many know, the English word, bimbo is a derogatory slang term for an attractive but unintelligent female and has negative connotations. But, it has no comparable meaning in Spanish.

So now I know and so do you — Welcome to August. Enjoy your weekend everyone!

18 comments:

MadSnapper said...

today is my lucky day, i jst came from learning how to roast coffee beans in a fry pan and now i know about this bakery. LOL LOL i am on a learning roll today

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

I wonder why anyone would Want to combine bingo and Bambi?

Out on the prairie said...

hmm a bakery where I meet the love of my life

Catherine said...

Oh how funny! Perhaps somebody should have done some research before naming the company ;)

Emma Springfield said...

I go to Bimbo's outlet store to buy day-old goodies. I buy a bunch and freeze them. If I want a snack all I need to do is raid the freezer. The one I go to carries Sara Lee products.

barbara l. hale said...

I kind of remember being able to buy Bimbo stuff when we lived in Chile.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Never heard of it until now....you are such a wealth of info!...:)JP

William Kendall said...

You would think someone in the company would say, "you know, maybe we need to change the name..."

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Oh my! I don't think I could keep a straight face saying that name. I kinda agree with William!

diane b said...

That's a laugh but they seem to be doing well.

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to wish you two a wonderful August weekend.

Anvilcloud said...

Apparently the odd name has not impacted the company negatively.

Gail Dixon said...

Thanks for the education! I had no idea. I had the same thought process as you at first.

possum said...

Never heard of them before. I would have had a good laugh if I had. But the name would not have enticed me to go inside!

DeniseinVA said...

No, it wouldn't have drawn me in either:). Never heard of these people before.

Montanagirl said...

Fun post! I'm posting and commenting today, for my one time this week. I'm back from the Bison Range, and posted photos today (Monday the 4th). Stop by and have a look!

Connie said...

Haha! That is a funny name for a bakery. Thanks for the smile. :-)

Unknown said...

We have a huge bakery Bimbo in La Crosse, the name recently changed for years it was something else but a merger...never the less when the ovens are on, sure smells good. Since I have seen it for years doesn't seem funny anymore but the first time I saw the name I though, "why?"