Ours is cooking away in the crock pot now and will be brought to friends, Marty & Bob, for dinner later today.
Grenville made Irish soda bread and will share that recipe later.
Crock Pot Corned Beef
(ingredients for 4-6 servings)
- 3-4 lbs. corned beef brisket
- 2 stalks celery, cut up
- 3-4 carrots cut into 3-inch pieces OR small bag of peeled carrots
- 4-5 small potatoes, quartered (we use red)
- 1 can Guinness (Grenville's choice)
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 small cabbage, cut in wedges
- Place vegetables in bottom of crock pot.
- Trim some excess fat from corned beef, if desired, then place (fat side up) on top of vegetables.
- Pour beer on top.
- Ass pickling spices from corned beef package.
- Add water to cover all.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8-1/2-10 hours or HIGH 5-6 until corned beef is tender.
We cooked the cabbage separately (there was not enough room in the crock pot) then added to the other ingredients. Serve with vegetables, grainy or horseradish mustard, and some of cooking juices.
Bíodh am iontach agat.
(Have a great time . . . Happy St. Patrick's Day to All)