Last week’s recipe post for Apple-Orange Muffins was missing an ingredient, which I learned when redoing the recipe today. Some of the sugar was left out before; so here’s the complete revised recipe.
Apple-Orange Whole Wheat Muffins
As before, you can make changes/additions to this mix. Today’s version included raisins and chopped pecans with orange and lemon zest. And, since we didn’t have buttermilk or yogurt, I added lemon juice to milk and it worked fine.
- 1 C whole wheat flour (4 oz.)
- 1 C+ white all-purpose flour (4-1/4 oz.)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg (optional)
- ½ C (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temp
OR ¼ C canola oil and ¼ C applesauce
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- ¾ C brown sugar divided (1/2 C + ¼ C)
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 C buttermilk OR 1 C yogurt (or mix of each) *
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, coarsely chopped
- 2 TBSP orange juice
- 1-2 TBSP orange zest (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ C chopped nuts (optional)
* can substitute regular milk and 1 TBSP lemon juice OR white vinegar for buttermilk.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Flour 12 muffin tins OR line with paper (grease paper insides).
- Mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt in separate mixing bowl.
- Cream butter, add white sugar and ¼ C of brown sugar. Beat until fluffy, add egg. Mix well and add in buttermilk or yogurt.
- Stir in apple chunks and dry ingredients, including orange zest (if using) and orange juice.
- Divide batter into muffin tins; sprinkle tops with remaining ½ C brown sugar.
Enjoy with a fresh cup of coffee.
That’s what we did on a rainy and chilly Sunday morning.