Chicken was “what’s for dinner” last week and I looked online for a “waist-friendly” meal using spices and herbs a without calorie-laden sauce. There were several recipes similar to this one which was altered to include fresh herbs and onion and a substitution of chicken thighs vs. breasts. The ingredients list is fairly simple and you could have all these items available in your pantry or freezer.
Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken Thighs
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/2 half small onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 C balsamic vinegar
- Fresh basil (if available)
- Fresh parsley (if available)
- Combine the first six dry spices (garlic powder, dried basil, oregano, salt, pepper) in a small bowl.
- Rub over chicken on both sides, then set aside.
- Pour olive oil and put garlic and onion on the bottom of the crock pot. Place chicken on top. Pour balsamic vinegar over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW 7 hours or HIGH 4 hours. Sprinkle with fresh parsley on top to serve.
This first-time meal is now a “keeper” worth repeating at The Frog & PenguINN dinner table. (Sorry but there were NO leftovers.)