Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

SPRINGing Too Soon ?

Here on the VA eastern shore, snow is measured more in snowflakes than inches, which means that the dusting we received overnight last week might be our total winter snowfall.

Of course, the weather has been unpredictable in many parts of the country, unseasonably warm temps have prevailed in what’s supposed to be winter’s chilly grip. The result is earlier than usual plant growth which was was very evident walking around the Frog & PenguINN yard this weekend.

The wall calendar says it’s January. But plants don’t lookspringlike4 at dates. A lot of the spring and summer flowers here have kept re-blooming.

Others are getting ready with new growth already in view.

 

springlike5Wildflowers too are cropping up all over the lawn even some snails have started coming out to sun themselves.

 

 

springlike3

However, our maple and crepe myrtle trees still bear witness to winter and  remain without foliage and no signs of budding.

 

It’s a different story outside our local “Y” where this tulip magnolia started budding in early January.springlike2HOW about you, getting out sandals or (still) wearing boots?

Blogger friends like Sandra and Christine exempt from this question and AC, Christer, Elaine and Mona we already know your answer.

At the F&P, Grenville is leaving the snow shovel on our back porch. The weather prediction this week is for the COLDest temps so far this winter season — at least for here.

16 comments:

Ludwig said...

Boots, boots? What are boots?

Anvilcloud said...

Boots AND longjohns. Brrr.

Out on the prairie said...

Not seeing any spring growth here it is 5.

Cicero Sings said...

Definitely boot weather here. Thinking of starting a fire this morn as we had a clear night with temps dropping to -10c

Anonymous said...

I had hopes of a warm winter but I think we can say that it's pretty normal this year. But magnolias are buddiung here too, I think that itä's the longer days that starts them like it starts my Assurian redberried elderberry trees. They always start way to early and then the frost takes them with surprise :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

L. D. said...

We were a minus 6 degrees this morning. I did not think about it being in the south out there but once when I visit in March and saw daffodils blooming I realized it is south.

Country Gal said...

Oh WOW ! They are confused . We had this confusions one year a few years ago with our garden plants, bushes and trees ! Some made it and some didn't ! Hope they all fair ok for you ! Lovely photos !Have a good day !

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Oh goodness all those little flowers are so anxious for Spring, aren't they? But you're right, the temps here are supposed to be very chilly indeed!...:)JP

Lois Evensen said...

We were just wandering the garden today: daffs are well out of the ground and some have buds visible; a few tulips have pushed up tips of leaves; a stray crocus appears here and there.... Yes, Spring is definitely nearby....

Rebecca said...

We still have snow! I hope the weather didn't confuse my fruit trees. I really want a good crop this year. I have plans!

john bain said...

Still welly boots and I'm fed up with them now. We have had the snow for a few days. I'm fed up with that now too.
Don't mind me I'm just being grumpy. Spring flowers? There is no need for that. :-)

grammie g said...

Hi B...It has been a crazy winter ...on day it is 55 and by nighttime it goes down to 14,then it can be just the opposite ..crazy!!
Haven't seen any signs of spring that's for sure lol that is a long way off!! No sandals...
Grace

Connie said...

It is brutally cold here tonight, and we are getting some snow. Your signs of spring look beautiful to me.

Elaine said...

Love seeing your signs of spring! I hope those plants aren't being premature though. Too bad Grenville didn't get more of a chance with his snow shovel! I shoveled a few inches off the deck yesterday, but somehow it came back. Tomorrow when I fill the feeders for those greedy redpolls I'll have to shovel again or wade through it, and if I just slip on my garden clogs the snow comes through the holes. As for the boots, I've got them in the back of the car for emergency use, but so far haven't had to dig them out.

Montanagirl said...

AH, yup. We still have snow and cold. It's 5 degrees right now. No sandals here!! lol

Rusty said...

Tonight the windchill is about -40C! Boots? Nah, I think I will stay inside. Snow? I don't think I have seen this much snow in December and January since I was a kid - somewhere about 1941... I'm running out of places to shovel the stuff. Mind you - the trees and fields were beautiful covered with mounds of light, pure white snow. ATB!