Along with chicken and fish, boneless pork loin is one of our favorites for meal planning. It can be cooked in so many ways — in a crock pot, smoker or oven.
If you also enjoy pork (the “other” white meat) here’s an easy and VERY tasty cool weather Taste of Home recipe. This is a first-time dinner that will be repeated at The Frog & PenguINN, just ask Grenville.
Roast Pork with Onions and Apples
The sweetness of the apples and onions complement the roast pork, and the garlic is not overpowering when roasted.
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (2 pounds)
- 1 TBSP olive oil (for browning)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 3 large Golden Delicious apples, cut into wedges *
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges *
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled *
- 1 TBSP minced fresh rosemary OR 1 tsp dried & crushed
* Instead of golden delicious apples, I substituted gala apples, which we had in the fridge; also used slightly less garlic and onion.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. Place roast in a large nonstick skillet and brown roast in olive oil on all sides.
- After browning, put roast in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray OR olive oil (my preference). Arrange the apples, onions and garlic around roast; sprinkle all with rosemary.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° F for 45-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 145 degrees; turn the apples, onions and garlic once.
- Let meat stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Discard garlic cloves, unless you enjoy eating them.
Wild rice also goes well with this meal.