Did I mention that we’ve had a lot of rain since last week? It’s been nearly 5 days of on and off showers, including some downpours.
Lawns around town are sprouting rows of white caps.
Mushrooms are fungi that live on dead organic matter and grow and feed on decaying dead roots, old mulch, animal waste or rotting stumps that were covered by soil.
They are the fruit of this fungus. An abundance of food sources for the fungi in the soil will ensure lots of lawn mushrooms. The more food sources the fungi have, the bigger the lawn mushrooms will grow.
That’s why some lawn mushrooms are huge and others are small – it depends on the amount of food sources available.
Most mushrooms generally are harmless to grasses; some consider them unsightly or want remove them as children might try eating them. Some variations are poisonous.
The mushrooms that are visible are only the fruiting body, which primarily spreads spores to create new colonies. It’s what's going on underground, that keeps the fungus alive. Most mushrooms reproduce asexually by releasing thousands of spores through their gills into the open air for dispersion into the environment.
Mushrooms are natural recyclers – most are harmful to a lawn. They decompose organic matter and release nutrients for plant growth into the soil.
So if you have a lawn full of mushrooms – be thankful. It’s not a bad thing.