Last weekend, friends M&B gave us a slow cooker recipe card magazine when joined us for dinner at The Frog & PenguINN. Looking through it, I found several recipes we’ll be sampling in the next few weeks, especially when after a long day outside neither of us wants to cook – as much as we enjoy it.
This recipe was tried lover the weekend. Since I didn’t have all the exact ingredients available, and didn’t want to go shopping, substitutions were made as noted with asterisks (*)
Herbed Chicken with Wild Rice
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed *
- 3 C cubed red potatoes
- 1 lb. fresh baby carrots *
- 1 package (14 oz.) frozen pearl onions, thawed *
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup *
- ½ C water
- ½ C lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
Note: substitutions in order – bone-in chicken thighs, whole carrots peeled and cut in lengths, cut-up sweet onion, cream of mushroom soup.
- Combine carrots, potatoes, onions and celery in a 5 or 6 qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken.
- Combine the soup (undiluted), water, lemon juice, thyme parsley, pepper and salt. Pour over chicken and cover.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Serve with wild rice.
Then you can enjoy dessert – or maybe the other way around?