As much as Grenville and I enjoy cooking, there are many nights, when dinner is something easy, quick, and made using what’s available in the fridge, freezer, or pantry. Last night’s dinner was done this way.
This meal is named after the main ingredients – pasta from the pantry, sausage from the freezer, and some veggies(Broccoli and scallions) also from the fridge
Skillet Pasta and Sausage with Broccoli
- 2-3 pieces of Italian sausage
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil (or as needed)
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 1 C fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tsp chopped garlic (optional)
- 1 ½ C chopped scallions
- 1 tsp each oregano and basil – use fresh if available
- 1 ½ C bowtie pasta (or shell pasta)
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes seasoned with oregano & basil
- salt and pepper (adjust as needed)
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil to pan. Cut sausage into chunks and brown in pan over medium heat until done. Break into smaller pieces while cooking.
- Add sliced onions, broccoli, scallions and garlic (if using) to same pan. Add seasonings and olive oil (as needed).
- Lower heat, and cover pan cooking about 5-8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to mixture and cook 2 minutes more, then add cooked pasta. Stir to mix.
- Sprinkle parmesan and mozzarella cheese on top. Serve with side of salad.