- 2 C kidney beans (if using dried beans, soak overnight and simmer until soft)
- 1 ½ - 2 lbs ground beef (or mixture of beef and pork)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz can) OR add a larger 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes - zesty chili style (14.5 oz) *
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
- Dash of garlic powder OR diced garlic (your preference)
- 1 C fresh brewed coffee
- Sauté beef to remove excess fat and drain.
- Sauté onion and pepper in a bit of olive oil.
- Add beans and beef to crock pot. Then add tomatoes, peppers, onion.
- Add seasonings – chili powder, cumin, cilantro, oregano – and brown sugar. Add garlic, if using.
- Pour coffee on top. Stir well, then cover crock pot.
NOTE: Shorten cook time by turning to High for 1-2 hours (1 hour on High = 2 hours on Low). Go and do something else the rest of the day.
Serve with choice of toppings: shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, avocado, and/or cornbread.
Serves 6 to 8. And, if your household numbers 2 like ours, this means leftovers for a couple of nights.