This deliciously moist chocolate cake was completely homemade, including the frosting and it contains NO eggs. Grenville and I are both confirmed chocoholics and we give this recipe thumbs & toes up.
Heat oven to 350° F.
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 2 C sugar
- 1/3 C baking cocoa (Hershey’s)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 C water
- ¾ C vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp vinegar
- Combine 1st five ingredients in a mixing bowl (flour to salt).
- Add water, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and vinegar.
- Mix well (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a well greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tester inserted near center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- 1 pkge (3 ounces) cream cheese softened
- ¼ C butter, softened
- 2 C confectioner’s sugar
- 1/3 C baking cocoa
- Dash salt
- 3 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Beat cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Add confectioner’s sugar, cocoa, salt, milk, vanilla.
- Mix well; spread over the cake.