Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

The Sweet and Sour of life

SOOOO guess what the weather is????? Hey, you guessed it on the first try... RAIN. And the same for tomorrow and the next day and .... well you get the picture. Oh yea, yesterday was RAIN also (must have clouded my mind or been in a fog.)

Yesterday the Princess let me in the kitchen and I got to cook dinner. I had found a recipe on the Old Farmers Almanac site for Sweet and Sour Pork that used Maple Syrup, one of my favorites. The problem was that I didn't have the Country Style ribs it called for, only pork loin. And I didn't want to make this for 12 folks, just us two. So some re-engineering was called for. If you would like the original go to http://www.almanac.com/ and look in the recipe section for Sweet and Sour Pork.
Here is my version. This will feed 4 normal folks (we have left overs for tonight) and 2 very hungry folks.
Grenville's Sweet &Sour Pork Chops
4- Center cut (boneless) pork chops
3 Tbls. flour
1/4 cup each of chopped celery, green pepper, and red onion.
Small can of crushed pineapple (do not drain)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/8 cup each of vinegar(i like balsamic) and soy sauce

Brown the chops in a medium chef's pan (you can add a little olive oil if you like). Remove the chops but save the drippings.
Combine the flour with enough water to make a nice thin paste. Add this to the drippings and make a medium rue.
Put the chops back in the pan. Add all of the remaining ingredients. Mix them around so the chops are covered in juices.
Simmer for 45- 60 minutes until the pork is done to your liking. I like mine moist and a little pink.
Serve this over a nice bed of rice of your choice. I did some brown rice but wild and long grain will also do. I served this with some reheated Oven Roasted Veggies and fresh steamed asparagus.

No comments: