1 C dried red kidney beans
½ C chopped bacon
1 C sliced andouille or other hot smoked sausage
1 large onion, peeled & finely chopped
1 C diced green pepper
½ C diced celery
1 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
1 bay leaf
½ tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp ground oregano
1 tsp hot pepper sauce or cajun seasoning or chili power - your choice
1 1/2 C chicken stock (low sodium)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 C long grain rice cooked in low sodium chicken stock or water (prepare additional rice for leftovers)
- Wash beans and drain in colander. Put in large pot and soak overnight or at least 3 hours.
- Put chopped bacon and sauté over medium heat to release grease. Add sausage and cook .
- Add onion, celery, bell pepper, olive oil, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper, oregano, hot pepper sauce.
- Sauté over medium heat 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add beans and stock and bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Cook uncovered until beans are tender, anywhere from 1 ½ to 2 hours (not necessary if using canned, rinsed beans).