Split Pea Soup
Soak 1 lb pkg green split peas overnight in 3-4 cups of cold water. Shortcut: Boil 2 minutes and set aside for an hour. Drain and rinse beans and pick out anything you shouldn't be there.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp thyme
3-4 cans low sodium chicken broth or alternate with beef broth
Salt and pepper as needed
Ham hocks or diced ham added after soup is pureed.
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add split peas, broth and ham hocks (if being used)
- Skim off any foam that appears on surface.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Purée soup, return to pot and reheat as needed. If a ham bone was used remove, cool, cut off meat into small cubes and add to soup.